Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Airbrush Work

I finished my first "airbrushed" body tonight for Matt.




Lots of work and many coats of paint... Having done a complex paintjob now, it seems to me that masking is the biggest consideration when deciding the order in which colors get applied. For instance, the number circles on Matt's body were white, ringed in black. Typical RC body painting says you paint the darkest colors first, but the black rings were the second to last things I painted - the last being the white circle itself. In theory, I guess I could have cut a negative circle mask, put the smaller circle inside that and started there, but it felt a lot more convenient to just lay down a circle mask, and paint around it, and then let the paint be my mask... The same holds true for the stripe on the car - the stripe is actually the same blue used for the main body of the car, it's just backed in black instead to white. I would have had to lay down the blue over the entire car, then mask off the stripe, laying tape over fresh paint (which worries me), then do my backing in white, then back the stripe in black... My way took a little extra time due to the number of color changes I did (9 "layers").

I look forward to painting the next body and improving

No comments:

Post a Comment