Thursday, January 15, 2009

Back in the Game?

I don't know where it came from.
I don't know where it will lead.
Some will say I don't know what I'm thinking.

but, what the hell, right?

Somehow, after being out of racing RC Touring Cars for quite some time, the urge struck me to do it again. I found my car, my radio, my power supply and Turbo 30 in multiple boxes - the car still with carpet fuzz from a track that no longer exists wrapped around its axle shafts, the 2000 MAH NiCad batteries still heavy in their cases, the bronzish colored Trinity P2k motor the only evidence of when it was last used.

Hello, my old friend! Hello Mr. Kawada!

I stopped at the track I used to race at on a Thursday night knowing that races used to be on Fridays. Larry's Performance RC's - they moved to a new facility shortly after I stopped racing, and it appears they've taken over the entire building, expanding the hobby shop - good for Larry! It turns out they still have a touring car class on rubber! brushless 13.5 or a 19 turn motor. After talking for a bit, it's an easy call - $20 for a 19 turn, oh and throw in one of those high capacity 4200 NiMHs - those should shame my 2000's!

At home that night it was like opening a time capsule of RC! Everything on the car was still set from the last race it ran, finishing 3rd in an A-Main just ahead of a brand new Associated TC3 - the RC Car Action Magazine Car of the Year... for 2001! The only changes I made were to put the new battery together, solder in the new motor, remove the carpet fibers from the last race and fix a mysteriously broken rear body post - only two of those left!

No comments:

Post a Comment