Monday, May 11, 2009

Pondering the airbrush...

I decided to drag out my airbrush this past week - I used to be pretty decent with my Aztek, but killed it painting an 8 foot tall penguin in epoxy on the bottom of a friends pool - believe it!

I bought a Paasche VL to replace it, but never felt real comfortable with it. I figured out why this past week.

When I used the Aztek, which was a side feed brush, I always used the gravity feed cups, and the Paasche VL is strictly a siphon feed brush. My compressor wouldn't put out enough pressure for the VL to work properly, maxing out at 22 psi! I decided to try my air tool compressor hooked into the water trap/regulator for the airbrush and dialed up the regulator to 35 PSI, and when the compressor stopped running I could actually hear my airbrush hose hissing unbelievably from both ends! It was the one that came with the brush, but it was a piece of junk that didn't seal at either end. A new hose and new Teflon tape later, and a tightening of the plug on the water trap, and I can hear nooooo air leaks! At a very steady 35 PSI, the brush works really well spraying the acrylics. I've done a bit of test painting, and so far so good. From fine lines, to large clouds of paint, I'm getting a good feel for how to control it. I sprayed a test piece on a cut up plastic bottle, and while it needs some work on the colors, the line work was pretty good.

More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment