Saturday, May 9, 2009

VTA points week #2

This class is growing, with eleven entries this week! I ran a couple good qualifiers, fairly clean and managed to make the A main in fifth. John was running his 21.5 and Mark had his car working as good as his main last week. Mike switched from a 4 cell 17.5 combo to a 2s 21.5 and was running obscenely fast on the straight and I think turned the fastest lap of the night, turning in a 12.9! My fast lap for the night was a paltry 13.8 :( The A-main was lined up like the TA races of old, every car was on an angle facing away from the outside wall along the straight. I thought we were still being lined up when the tone went off, being left behind by all five of the other cars on the track - doh! I had my revenge as there was a major tangle up in the second turn and I passed three of them right back. I ran in third for a couple laps until I tapped an inside board and the car went rolling down the track landing on its lid - I haven't figured out if it is the body or the bumper that seems to always cause the car to roll over upon tapping a board. From there, it was an uneventful race for me until about the last two laps. I saw Allan slow up and stop on the track ahead of me (even though he was running behind me), and then take off like a bat out of hell just as soon as I got near him, and aimed his car right at me for the next three turns until I was a fair distance away from him. I didn't think too much of it, but as the tone went off, ending the race about two laps later, I came up on him again going into the final sweeper where he ran me into the boards sideways. I'll keep an eye out to see if this remains a trend.

I finished in fifth, I thought I did well other than my rollover. I turned a bunch of 13.8's & 13.9's and just felt my car was slow. Dave wanted to show me otherwise as he had been watching me, so after all the races were done, he took the time to drive my car. My car, my battery, my radio, no changes at all, in someone elses hands - and on his 4th timed lap turned a 13.1

I am truly humbled.

I know what I need to do now.. Practice, practice, practice...

No comments:

Post a Comment