Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Tamiya parts go/no-go?

Well, I got the Tamiya parts in the mail!


The bad news? I pretty much struck out on what I ordered.

The Tamiya axles (53939) for the 415 turned out to be the wrong ones - the drive pin was inside the hub when fully seated.

The rear belt, even with the rear tensioner all the way engaged, was still too loose to propel the car without slipping.

The 44mm swingshafts (54077) were too short to mate with the Kawada differential or one-way.

I did manage to make some trades and acquire axles for a 416, which were the proper fit (with 2 shims). Then, I did a lot of clearancing, and was able to get the 416 Spool with the TAO5 wide pitch pulley on the front of the car without binding. This configuration allowed the use of the 44mm swingshafts. The front belt was a fit (if a bit loose) so I was able to use the whole front end assembly eventually!

The rear end is still all Kawada, and I have two choices : I can order 46mm swingshafts as the 44's are just a bit too short, or I can put a 416 differential in the rear. The rear diff in the Kawada is a delrin diff and is really smooth with the ceramic nitride balls in it, so I'm hesitant to spend $50 or so on a diff that may or may not improve the car. I can get the swingshafts online for between $30 and $40 after shipping, which doesn't thrill me either, so I'm currently not doing either as the rear CVD's are in decent shape (for now).

No comments:

Post a Comment