Monday, June 29, 2009

VTA for fun (and profit? not!) - Tamiya parts arrive!

So, the points series is on hiatus for a couple weeks to give folks a breather, and it's back to racing for glory (only)!

I wound up racing Friday and again this past wednesday - The track layout hasn't changed from the last week of the points, so I don't really touch the car. Friday was good, we were racing while massive storms raged outside. MSI has these really high warehouse windows, and the lightning flashing across the black sky through wthose windows looked very evil-scientist-movie-esque! I managed to drop my fast lap time down to an 11.58 or so, and wound up handing the radio to Dave to drive the main. It looked a little loose - I may have put the traction compound on a bit too soon (as I was going to get dinner), and he wound up finishing just ahead of Marc, but managed only an 11.7.

Anyway, Wednesday was more of the same - I made some small corrections to the droop on the suspension arms, but otherwise changed nothing. It was a low turnout night, only 8 guys, 5 of whom were going to be in the A. I hit 25 laps on my first qualifier, and then 24 in the second and 24 again in the main *hmmmm*. In the main, I got some intense racing with Kevin and his TC5, and dropped my fast lap down to 11.504 - Kevin hit 11.496 for a fast lap. The car may be a handful to drive, but I feel really in tune with it now.

Today, the Tamiya parts I've ordered have arrived - I'm like a kid at Christmas waiting to get home and work on the car. In my posession, I have a 416WE spool to mate to a low friction 36T one-way pulley from a TA05 to create a spool with the same number of teetch as the Kawada diffs have. I have a 416WE low friction front belt, a 416 (normal) rear belt which is 1 tooth/3mm longer than the Kawada belt. I have four 44mm lightweight swing shafts with matching lightweight axles and all the crossjoints needed to build them. Essentially, the entire driveline from a 416WE is going into my car. I will do some weight comparisons of the components for grins as this was not just to replace wearing parts, it was to reduce rotating mass and free up the drivetrain!

Yes, it looks like a Tamiya store exploded at my desk!

No comments:

Post a Comment